Recherche avancée
Phorum
Sujet posté par Sinople 
avatar Dancers in the Dusk Previews
mer. 04/03/09 23:12
Salut!

Bonnes nouvelles en provenance des Forums WiWo:

Une preview de Dancers in the Dusk

Hésitez pas à lire ce thread. Des gars ayant eu le bouquin en avant-première (veinards!), font un résumé des chapitres de Dancers in the Dusk.
Et franchement, il y a de quoi faire pâlir Equinox Road.

Le concept de "Skein" notamment me rend totalement euphorique. En gros les Changelings ont accès aux Astrals Realms (les royaumes des rêves).
C'est vraiment ce qui manquait aux changelings, je trouve. J'ai toujours souhaité qu'ils puissent aller dans le monde des rêves. Et maintenant c'est possible!

Bon puisque je suis de bonne humeur, je vais vous copier/coller les previews sur ce fil.

Sinople

P.S: Par contre mauvaise nouvelle. Dancers in the Dusk semble être reporté le 1er avril.

Modifié 2 fois. Dernière modification le 03/04/2009 23:21 par Sinople.
mer. 04/03/09 23:15
Lilith

Dreams of Mystery

Lilith is the Black Moon: a hypothetical celestial body the mortal astrologer Sapharial “discovered” in 1918, and which Rowena adapted for her own use. It’s invisible to science (and Faerie magic too, for that matter) but it’s a useful symbol that stands for dreams about supernatural forces. The events depicted in many dreams would be considered supernatural if they occurred in the waking world, but Lilith’s domain deals with situations that go beyond flying dreams or monsters under the bed. It concerns itself with supernatural forces that actually exist in the material world.

Dreams of Mystery are more common than you might think. Strangely enough, they don’t seem to depend on direct experiences with the supernatural, though people who’ve had them have Lilith-dreams more frequently. The disturbing thing is that many people have very realistic dreams about creatures they’ve never met and places they’ve never been. This impossible knowledge gives Lilith’s dreams an oracular aspect. Prophetic dreams are considered to be innately supernatural, so they also fall under this category, though naturally, witnesses usually only identify prophecies in hindsight.

Story: A Lilith-dream often unfolds as follows:

• Enigma: The dreamer notices something out of place in what would otherwise seem to be a typical dream. His third-grade teacher has runes tattooed on her arm or a co-worker has dried blood under his fingernails. These unusual aspects multiply until the dreamer either feels compelled to investigate them himself or is haplessly drawn into an encounter with supernatural forces. Curiosity matters, because dreamers who lack the motivation to find the truth usually meet a bad end.

• Investigation: The dreamer tries to track the source of mystery. Many dreamers draw upon unrealistic methods that owe more to fiction than practical utility, but in a dream they both get the job done. In the process, the dreamer learns more about the supernatural force’s influence over the immediate surroundings. This occasionally takes a highly stylized form, like a silver aura around the people a sorcerer has brainwashed. For information gathering purposes, this is usually the real meat of the dream.

• Revelation: Apathy or earnest searching eventually draws the dreamer into a direct encounter with the monster, haunting or whatever else it is. If the dreamer only passively noticed phenomena up to now, the dream normally becomes a nightmare. The monster “kills” him or the haunting drives him insane. An investigator might “die” too but on occasion he discovers some cure or counter. The dreamer can’t actually die, but some Mystery dreams leave lasting psychological scars, especially if the supernatural forces in them have special psyche-altering powers.

Systems: When a supernatural creature or element appears in a Dream of Mystery it has all of its powers and unusual characteristics. A dream-vampire channels dream-blood into inhuman strength; a sorcerer casts spells. On the other hand, they follow the same rules as changelings for the purposes of dream combat and (as far as anyone knows) can’t leave or outlast the dream. They also don’t benefit from the extra protection of supernatural power traits like Blood Potency, Primal Urge, Gnosis or Wyrd; don’t add them to dice pools to resist Contracts and similar effects.

Any mortal can have a prophetic dream about the supernatural, but only lucid dreamers remember them. Furthermore, it’s possible for a changeling to induce a Dream of Mystery on a mortal with the Unseen Sense Merit, though this only reveals the phenomena to which the person’s Unseen Sense is “tuned”. The changeling accomplishes this via dreamscaping. The True Fae can force any mortal to have a Lilith-dream using a variant of prophetic dream-poisoning (see Changeling: The Lost, p. 200).
mer. 04/03/09 23:16
Ok, I just finished the first chapter enough that I think I've got it down pretty well. I would say most of the chapter deals with a new concept to the cosmology of the WoD, the Skein. I won't go into alot of detail, but basically it's an overlapping web of connections in the Astral Realms, mostly the Oneiros layer. Basically, it is a place where all dreams exist; past, present, and future. It allows for people who know about it and have the understanding or help to be able to get to dreams they are not pledged to have access to. Also, the Skein changes many of the previous assumptions about the Astral Realms within itself.

Off of this is a whole number of different beings, the Incubi (pretty much anything that enters a dream without being "invited" with a pledge), and the Morpheans (dream god-kings) being the primary two categories.

There is an astrological system in place to divide up dreams and show the most common progression of those kinds of dreams. Great for STs, but at the end of each of the six planets used (or the two moons of Earth) is a system section which gives special rules that can be used with that kind of dreams. If they can (and how) be created artificially, how you can use them to your advantage, and the ways the dream affects the actions of any oneiromancers in it.

I know I'm not being horribly specific, but I don't want to give too much away yet. Also I'm still mulling over some things in my head. But, I will give one thing that has occured to me about the Skein. You can not dreamscape any dreams you don't have a "right" to (in other words dreams of people you are pledged with or your fetch) by the rules given while Skeinwalking. I think that's generally fair, but one adjustment I'd make is allowing people with Contracts of Dreams 2 to dreamscape whatever dream they are in. It just makes sense. And considering that the Skein can be hard to escape, I think that could make for a very useful tool.

On to chapter two and Fate!

P.S. I got my book by pre-ordering from White Wolf. I was very shocked when I got the e-mail telling me that it had been shipped out.
mer. 04/03/09 23:16
Chapter 2 deals with Fate. The chapter opens with what changeling scholars believe Fate to be, but they are all just theories. (Read: The ST can pick and choose whichever one suits their game.)

The first theory states Fate is a Force. This is basically trying to explain Fate scientifically. Fate happens because that's just the way it happens- all the Contracts used by Changelings from the Wyrd automatically cause certain reactions.

The second theory is Fate is the Manifestation of the Wyrd. They believe Fate is nothing more than an oath to the Wyrd, where Fate traded away certainty of future events for control over the present.

The third theory is Fate is Alive. Basically, Fate is sentient and has a will of its own.

The fourth is Fate Hates Unfinished Business. This belief states that Fate always takes a hand in tying up loose ends, whether its making sure a father walking out on his kid meets him again by chance as an adult or if a changeling bumps into someone on the street Fate will play a part in the chance that the person has something do to with whatever the changeling is working on.

The fifth is Fate Likes Patterns. If you go back far enough, you'll notice a pattern in everything Fate has a hand in. The problem is sometimes the pattern is so large it's practically impossible to see. Kind of like Pi actually having a pattern, but it only starts to repeat itself after the trillionth trillionth number. All the mathematicians only THINK Pi has no pattern. Kind of like that.

The sixth is Fate Can Be Manipulated, But Hates Oppostion. Self-explanatory.

Finally, Fate Is Not Inevitable. Again, self-explanatory. There have been cases where Changelings dodge their fate and nothing bad happens to them for doing so.

The chapter then goes on to explain examples on how to use Fate in a changeling game, including its methods. One of Fate's methods, which I think is one of the coolest thing in the book, is the Moirae- the agents of Fate. Examples include the Crimson Weavers, which try to bring two people together who would create the perfect match for each other. The problem is that who they believe would make a perfect couple don't have anything to do with love or desire. smiling smiley

Another example is the Fallen Star- it's exactly what you think it is- it tries to use its power to grant people their deepest wishes. The problem is, once they use up all their power, Fallen Stars die, so they try to remain alive as long as they can by resisting the urge to grant wishes. But the urge inevitable grows too great.

Then you've got the Nemesis, the arbiters and avengers of Fate, and the Pattern Eaters, which are "fallen" servants of Fate and look to steal people's fates for themselves to feast upon.

Next up, Dusk Magic!
mer. 04/03/09 23:17
Chapter two then goes onto Dusk Magic, starting with Goblin Contracts. There's some great stuff in here, and alot of Contracts, so I'll try to cram as many examples as I can into this post.

First off, there's the Mantle Mask. This contract make's a Changeling mantle seem to be of another court. The drawback is once the contract fades, it doesn't fade quickly. Although the original mantle appears after the end of the end of the contract, there is always something in the mantle that lingers to show the Changeling changed the mantle using this contract.

Daunting Force allows the changeling to channel their Wyrd into intimidating others, with social rolls getting penalized against the changeling. The drawback is the Contract taxes the Changeling's wyrd, so for the next 24 hours all uses of Glamour require an additional point than normal.

Next, there's Nothing Hidden. This highly improves the changeling's ability to perceive the supernatural. The drawback is the scene after the contract expires the changeling suffers -4 to all perception rolls for the damage the contract does to the eyes.

Next, Wyrd's Eye. This one is really cool. It allows the changeling to sense all unconcealed Contracts within a 10 foot radius around the changeling. On top of that, any Clarity penalties are ignored for perception challenges specifically involving sensing the Wyrd. The drawback is this contract causes sensory overload, and any perception challenges not related to the Wyrd recieve a penalty equal to the changeling's Wyrd.

Finally, there's the Fatal Clause. This contract allows the Changeling to nullify another Contract as it's being activated. The drawback is it also sucks away the Glamour and/or Willpower from the changeling using the contract equal to the casting cost of the Contract that it is nullifying.

And there you go. Next up, Contracts of Lucidity! These contracts are dangerous to use, because each contract has a Clarity breaking point that must be rolled against each time a contract is used. Screwing with the perceptions of others can force Changelings to start to remember their time in Arcadia.

First up, Read Lucidity. This allows a changeling to read the Clarity rating of another changeling. Breaking Point is Level 9.

Next, Temporary Sanity. This allows the changeling additional mental stability, temporarily gaining Clarity. Breaking Point is 8.

Next, Gift of Lucidity. This is like Temporary Sanity, but the changeling can "lend" Clarity to another Changeling, not boost his own.
Breaking Point is 6.

Armored Clarity. This allows a Changeling to steel himself against doing what he knows would play havoc with his Clarity. At the end of the contract, instead of constantly making Clarity rolls for every sin he's commited, he only rolls once against the lowest Breaking Pont. The Breaking Point for using the contract in the first place however, is pretty low- Level 4.

Finally, Thief of Reason. The contract allows a Changeling to steal another's Clarity for himself. Breaking Point is 2.

The next section of the chapter deals with Curses- on how to use them in-game, what they are, and examples of variant mechanics.
Examples of this include Unwitting Pledges and Pledge Curses.
mer. 04/03/09 23:17
Chapter 3, Shadows Cast by Thorns deals with Hedge and Hobgoblin culture. It talks about different towns and settlements in the Hedge, and gives specific examples. There's a Fortress, for example, called the Fire Station. Its run by a bunch of Changelings who call themselves the Fire Men- who are fanatical bridge burners. There are also examples of Hedge towns, and Outposts.

The chapter then goes on to explain how some hobgoblins are defined by their job- they must work. That's it. So it gives examples of hobgoblins that are defined by the work they do- Architects, who are driven to build, Doctors, who are driven to help, (scary, right?) Hunters, who are driven to hunt anything they come across in the Thorns, Merchants, who are driven to bargain, and Tinkers, who are driven to fix things.

The chapter then goes on to give examples of solitary structures in the Hedge, like Libraries, Mines, Prisons, Ruins, and even Temples. These structures may all serve a purpose, but the defining thing about them is that they are all pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

The chapter then goes on to talk about Mysterious Places- these are the things and places in the Hedge that just can't be codified within any known system- each place is basically one of a kind, and are often really dangerous.

An example of this is the Blasted Beach, a beach that is covered with freshly dug holes. In the distance along the beach is a massive statue, with cryptic writing along three sides of the base of the statue. The fourth side, which may be written in blood, says "I DEFY THEE".

The chapter goes on to explain what the Blasted Beach is, but that would be telling. winking smiley

The chapter ends with what I believe it its biggest section, a bestiary of hobgoblins. There are a ton of hobs in here, from individual characters to use against PCs to common hobs you'd find in the Hedge. Great, great stuff.
mer. 04/03/09 23:18
Finally, Chapter 4, The Deeping Dusk. The beginning of the chapter basically deals with mechanics and suggestions on how to use Fate in a Changeling game. It also includes alternate rules for the Hedge, if you wanted to say, use the Hedge as a malevolent force rather than a barrier between the world and Arcadia, you can do that. The mechanics for doing so are basically when a Changeling enters the Hedge as it's getting stronger with Fae activity, it becomes more difficult to navigate, the odds of running into something really powerful and nasty go up, and the hedge begins to creep into places it originally wasn't.

The book ends with new organizations, the biggest being, of course, the Dusk Court. The Dusk Court gets access to new Contracts, which are Contracts of Entropy. Not quite as interesting as the Fate magic earlier in the book, IMHO, but still good.

The Dusk court basically are fatalistc, believing their fates are sealed, and there's pretty much nothing they can do about it. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Dusk Court are full of changelings that sit around and do nothing. Sometimes this attitude causes the Dusk Court to rise up, lauging in the face of doom, and fight back. Sort of a "I'm going down, but I'm taking you bastards with me!" kind of attitude.

After the Dusk Court, we've got the Family of Silent Nights. These guys have the power to trap dreams, and to later release and use them against their enemies.

Then we've got the Hedge Wardens. These guys believe it is their mission to "tame" the Hedge around their freehold, clearing it of dangerous hobs, and making it safe for passage for Changelings. Most changelings who don't belong to the Hedge Wardens think they're batshit crazy for believing that's even possible.

Next up, the Squires of the Broken Bouch. These guys were supposedly formed by a motley of changelings who swore they would not forget the Knight who led them, who died attacking his enemies until they all fell. The Squires travel from motley to motley, sworn to fight for those who have a purpose to fight. They have no interest in poltical fighting, just the physical.

Finally, we've got the Twilight Gleaners. These guys have forged a connection with Fate itself, and can see hints of Fate's workings, and guide changelings along Fate's plan. Interesting stuff.

And that's it! Dancers in Dusk, in a nutshell.
Re: The Deeping Dusk
jeu. 05/03/09 11:43
difficile a dire si certains passages sont des redites du supplément Astral Realms pour Mage...
mar. 31/03/09 00:14
Yeah !

Je viens de l'avoir !
Il est dispo en boutique, en avance.
Très agréable surprise !

Sinople
Re: Dancers in the Dusk
jeu. 02/04/09 18:50
Ouais, il y a une nouvelle cour qui est décrite, trois nouveaux contrats, et pleins d'antagonistes. Pas le meilleur supplément sortie à ce jour, mais il est franchement utile.

Rien ne tache et rien ne lave comme le sang. [Joseph Roux]
Seuls les utilisateurs enregistrés peuvent poster des messages dans ce forum.

Cliquer ici pour vous connecter